Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Amagansett: Another Unincorporated Hamlet

In getting accquainted with Montauk and its surrounding areas I have had to learn a little bit about geography, erosion, and the differences between towns and villages and hamlets oh my. I think I've finally got my map straight! So here is how it works: Montauk, an unincorporated hamlet, is part of the town of East Hampton (as is the Village of East Hampton, a bit of Sag Harbor, and the other unincorporated hamlets: Wainscott, Springs and Amagansett).

Amagansett is Montauk's closest neighbor, and right now is a running favorite of mine. Its main street area is small on size, big on charm, and home to the nearby Indian Wells Beach. There are a number of antique shops, a hardware store (with the most adorable little new puppy you have ever seen...yes, I love dogs), an art supply store, camera store, and a few restuarants including one of my favorites, Indian Wells Tavern.

There is also a Marine Museum which overlooks the ocean and details Eastern Long Island's fishing and whaling history. I have not yet had an opportunity to check it out, but I hope to do so soon.

If you have a chance, if you are driving through to Montauk, stop off here, even if just to ooh and ahh and the amazing homes, some almost barn-like in their presence, many with breathtaking beach views. The drive through East Hampton can be really relaxing (note: there is summer traffic so you have got to plan ahead) and is free of any billboards, gas stations or other clutter. Just open village greens like the one to the left, and miles and miles of beach...














No comments:

Post a Comment